Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2008 06:40:47 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
To:        Novembre <novembre@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 22:22:24 -0500
Novembre <novembre@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to answer the posts in the mailing lists if one is not
> subscribed to the list and does not receive them in his mailbox? From time
> to time, I see posts which I can actually answer and contribute to, but
> since I'm not subscribed to the lists, even if I post an answer to the
> person asking the question and CC it to the list, it doesn't regroup with
> other posts on the same topic. Is there any way around this?

If you are reading the mailing lists via the FreeBSD website
(http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/freebsd-questions.html)
you can use the "Raw E-Mail" link of a posting to fetch a
copy and incorporate it into your mail client.

Two common mail formats are pine mail (one file per folder),
and MH mail (one file per message).  I use Sylpheed which uses
MH mail format so its quite easy.  I created a folder called
"Mail/web-list" and fetch the mail directly to it.  The trick
is to use the next numerical message number, in this example
"114":

  cd ~/Mail/web-list
  fetch -R -o 114 'http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=422834+0+current/freebsd-questions+raw'

It is then possible to just use Sylpheed normally and click
on "Reply to All".  The mail will be properly threaded for
the mailing lists.

I've not used the "one file per folder" type of mail client
in a very long time but I would think that just appending
the new mail to the end would suffice.

You will need to investigate how your particular mail client
operates and what format it uses, but what you want to do
is possible.  I would recommend backing up your mail before
experimenting and using the test mailing list
(freebsd-test@freebsd.org).

HTH,

Randy