Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:23:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   weird natd setup, can use input on how-to

I'm currently in the process of building a weird natd setup that I could use
some help with:

- we have a lab full of Unix boxes, all on an ethernet with 192.168.200.xxx
  adresses

- I also have a FreeBSD2.2.2 box with 2x le card, one connected to the lab
  network, the other to our production network with address 16.198.16.101
  On the lab net it is 192.168.200.1 This box is called storgate.
  It has natd running

- then there is a Digital Unix box with 16.198.16.26 called storage.
  'storage' shares the same network cable with storgate

- then there is a FreeBSD2.2.2R box which is my personal Unix box called
  'wilkux'. It has 16.198.208.11

- for the sake of the discussion I assume one Sun Solaris box on the lab net
  with 192.168.200.23. Machine is called sparc20

I'm as far as getting ping to work from the storage to the sparc20.

I can also get out from the sparc20 to everywhere on 16.xxx.xxx.xxx
(gatekeeper.dec.com won't let me go further ;-) )

What does not want to work is telnet from storage to sparc20. Natd shows
the translations going on (with -v) but the connection times out.

Another problem: since wilkux is not on the same subnet as storgate I have
to give it a default route to the router responsible for the 16.198.208
network. Of course I want to set a route for 192.168.200.xxx to go thru
storgate. Question: can I get 192.168.200.xxx to be routed at all? It is
a RFC(I forgot) network which is supposed to be non-routed.

When I ping to sparc20 from wilkux I end up getting an 'unreachable' from
gatekeeper.dec.com. Apparantly the router handling wilkux default route
*does* try to route the 192.168.200.xxx addresses. This also means the
packets never arrive at storgate.

What are the chances of ever getting this to work? I'm not a network expert
so I sure could use some help.

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --