Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:48:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Test CGI interface... (was: Re: cvs commit: www/data comm...)

John Fieber wrote:

> For this application, I'd strongly put in a plug for mSQL,
> or even a perl script that chews up a one-record-per-line
> flat file. [...]

> Now for the bad news: This scheme presents some problems
> for mirroring. [...] This does not necessairly mean ditching
> the database idea. Rather, it means generating static copies
> of the pages during daily regeneration process.

Yeah. I can't seem to think of a good way to integrate the
database for mirroring. Since the database doesn't actually
change constantly, a live CGI isn't really needed, of course.
We should just make static pages daily as you suggest.

I've adapted a new version that uses a '|' delimited flat-file.
The http://freebsd.hemi.com/gallery.html has been updated to
use this version in CGI mode. The output is identical to the
Postgres version (i.e., I haven't put in any new features.)

Now, like the old one, this new version can be called as a CGI,
or can be called directly from the command line to facilitate
creating static pages. That is, one can call it with:

   ./flat-query.cgi category=Commercial > gallery-commercial.html

and simply distribute the .html file. =-) Makes it easier for
people who'd like to build from source, too.

> I'd add another date field "checked".  We should be either
> manually or automagically verifying the entries periodically and
> that could be useful.

Good idea. I'll add "checked" and a boolean field "disabled" (for
new entries, and old links with problems.) If this looks like the
way to go, then I'll write a simple program to manipulate the flat-
file.

Cya,

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;