Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:05:57 -0700
From:      walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM question

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <3DAAB913.4010407@hotmail.com>, walt writes:
>
>>Would the GEOM framework make it feasible to use a DOS-extended/logical
>>partition for a BSD filesystem?

> We already support that as far as I know, both with and without GEOM

Yes!  The reason I could never make it work is because of an 'error'
in the man page for newfs:

"Before running newfs the disk must be labeled using disklabel(8)"

Well, disklabel won't work on an extended/logical partition so I
never actually got as far as newfs until just now.  Turns out that
newfs works just great without a disklabel on a logical partition.

I just moved the entire ports collection to my brand new 8Gb ufs
partition and never went near growfs.

I'm very happy!