Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:38:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        Pete Ehlke <pde@ehlke.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> What in the world is an "Internet-related API"?  How could Navigator, or any
> other software product, run under an OS and talk to the Internet without
> using an OS-specific API to do so?

in thise case, i suspect it would be winsock for the TCP/IP stack. this is
windows 95, after all. although, honestly, i don't know enough about
windows, or programming on windows, to be sure about this.

> > Developers of network-centric applications
> > thus would not be drawn to Navigator's APIs
> > in substantial numbers.
>
> When did Navigator ever provide any kind of API?

why should it? navigator is an application, no different than any other on
windows, macos, or unix.

> > Therefore, with the encouragement and support
> > of Gates, a group of Microsoft executives
> > commenced a campaign in the summer of 1995 to
> > convince Netscape to halt its development of
> > platform-level browsing technologies for Windows
> > 95.
>
> Well, they didn't succeed, because I used Navigator for a year or so after
> 1995, until MSIE was good enough to replace it.

i used navigator for years. on windows i use IE, due to ease and
simplicity of just having the browser there, upon install of win2k. on
UNIX i either use Konqueror or Mozilla, depending on the flavour.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche