Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:14:40 +0100
From:      Jerome Herman <jherman@dichotomia.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Geom Gate usage and perf

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone is using geom gate and could help me with huge
perf issue I am having.
Right now the set up is such : 3 drives on the same machine A, exported
through geom gate and connected to machine B.
On machine B I format the drives as freebsd-vinum and mount them in
stripping+mirroring.

The end goal is to have High Availability drives.

The setup is working, but the perf are awfull. Thinking It was due to
software stripping and mirroring slowing the process down I tried with
only one drive with a standard UFS format.

The perf are still horrible. When the drive is mounted locally on
machine A and I copy data with rsync from machine B; I have a steady
12MB/s data transfer rate.
When the same drive is mounted with geom gate on machine B, the copy
rate is around 6KB/s to 25KB/s

The drive was tested for I/O problems twice, and nothing was found.

Any idea or suggestion as to where the problem might come from ?

Thanks for your help.
Jerome Herman