Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 95 7:30:39 MET DST
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        vak@gw.cronyx.msk.su, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm now working on the driver for ATAPI IDE CD-ROMs,
> > and I need a major driver numbers for it.
> >
> > Who should I ask for?  Jordan?  Rod?
>
> Or David or anyone else who could commit to the kernel sources....
> Probably best beat is David, as it should probably be pulled to the
> 2.1 branch for simpler drop in of your driver for folks who will install
> 2.1 and want to add this support.
> >
> > P.S. For those who are interested: the driver is already
> > functioning, at least I can mount disks and read data.
> > After adding all needed ioctls and testing the proper
> > handling of disc change, I will commit it.
>
> Sounds good!!!

What I'd like to know a little more about is how it coexists
with "normal" disks on the same controller ?? This is VERY
important as most IDE PC's come with the disk as master and the
CDROM as slave on the SAME controller. This ultimately mandates
that the driver should be able to handle both disks and CDROM's,
or we will once again have two drivers talking to the same
hardware (that does sound familliar though :-( ), which won't
work very well, if at all.

I'm not sure how our E-IDE/ATAPI support is going on what I
started some month back, I think dyson got the code from phk
who got it from me, so this might be the quantum leap we need to
get this sorted out...

Soren Schmidt  (sos@FreeBSD.org | sos@login.dknet.dk)  FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time