Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:46:30 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        "Michael P. Sale" <mike@merchantsnet.com>, "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Lists, newbies & support (was: Re: Where to get Windows Internet stuff/ More on Windows & BSD)

I just have one thing to say about this:  There *IS* a need for a
'newbie-questions@freebsd.org' list.  Anyone reading this who can add
mailing lists to freebsd.org, please give this some serious thought.
Newbies are generally those who are in their first few weeks or months of
learning BSD.  Do the folks in freebsd-questions REALLY want to answer a
question like 'I pressed Ctrl-K in  ee and it messed up my text.  Is there
any way to get it back?' or 'How do I make my sound card work under
FreeBSD'?  Reasonable questions for raw newbies who haven't learned to rtfm
yet, and that deserve either a reply to a direct link to an appropriate
manual section, or an answer.  Sure, RTFM is the most important lesson for
a newbie to learn, but at least a little extra niceness might be presented
if answered from a newbies list, rather than "You moron, go read the manual
or shut the f*$&#($ up and quit spamming our list."

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.