Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 22:30:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building ports and packages?

> Karl Denninger stands accused of saying:
> >
> > > Is the -current system you're working with a -SNAP virgin install, or
> > > did you upgrade over an older (2.0.5, 2.1 etc.) release?
> >
> > Its a virgin install off a RELEASE I built from -CURRENT.  Nothing special
> > about it.
>
> Can you be more specific about exactly what fails when you try building
> stuff?  Are you getting makefile breakdown, checksum failures, or compile
> failures?

I'm getting checksum failures, failures to get the dist files (I fixed that
by SUPping them and the ports list from ftp.freebsd.org) and STILL got
checksum failures!

So now I'm commenting out specific distributions..... but it appears that
about 10% or so are blowing up.  And repacking them is basically impossible;
"make packages" doesn't do anything other than run through the builds (it
makes no .tgz files)

> Which /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk do you have?  Latest is
> $Id: bsd.port.mk,v 1.218 1996/08/07 08:25:08 asami Exp $
> $Id: bsd.port.subdir.mk,v 1.14 1996/04/09 22:54:13 wosch Exp $

That's what's in my directory here...

# $Id: bsd.port.mk,v 1.216 1996/07/05 06:12:12 jkh Exp $

> > One thing I have figured out -- I didn't have X11 on there, and that blows
> > up anything X related.  Can that be fixed without reinstalling the entire
> > machine? (ie: can I load the X11 release?)
>
> Yup.  You can either bring up sysinstall and just install the X11 stuff
> (custom/distributions/custom/XFree86, point it at an FTP server with the
> XFree dists on it), or you can just unpack the relevant tarballs by
> hand; they're all rooted at /usr, and described in the docco that comes
> with them from the XFree people.

Ok; I'll go ahead and load that, but the problem is that I'm still hosed on
the distributions that fail checksum...

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!