Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:10:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        ulf@lamb.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

> > I would go more into the direction of checking if the dump device is a
> > mounted file system. Easy check.
>
> I tend to agree, but wonder if it would not make more sense to tackle this
> from a different angle.
>
> Consider all the programs that could clobber a mounted file system.  Would
> it make more sense if we somehow protected a mounted disk device from
> being clobbered?

Yes.  Disable the raw device for mounted disks.  The stacking
architecture disallows (since it internall references the vnodes) a
device level soloution that does anything to the non-raw device.

If we can get past the point where devfs is a mandatory item, then we
can fix all of this without breaking FS stacking.  There is no soloution
otherwise that could not be broken by a clever idiot.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.