Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 14:17:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        perlsta@sunyit.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP-able chips?

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Darren Reed wrote:

> In some mail from Chuck Robey, sie said:
> >
> > On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know if any other x86 chip will work in a 2 processor
> > > enviornment?
> > > like the AMD K6 or the Cyrix M2
> >
> > I can't answer the second question, but as to the first, all motherboards
> > available today use the Intel Apic design, not the OpenApic design that
> > the cpus other than Intel implement.  The meaning to that is, if it's not
> > an Intel CPU, you're not going to run SMP with it.
>
> Does this include th ASUS motherboard which takes the CPU daughterboards ?

As far as I am aware, there is not one single motherboard on the market
today that implements the OpenApic.  I haven't done a thorough check
recently, but understand that the OpenApic and the Intel Apic aren't
compatible ... if you were a motherboard manufacturer (this only applies
to SMP) which would YOU build in?

There was a nice paper from IBM that described the differences, but I lost
it 3 months back when my main system dived on me.

> Darren

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |