Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:39:16 -0000
From:      Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
To:        "'jpersinger@greenmachine.net'" <jpersinger@greenmachine.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Relay section needs appending

The /etc/hosts file has nothing to do with mail, per se.  It is simply a
convenient place to store name to address mappings, like DNS but on a much
smaller scale.  The second jpersinger in your example is just a local alias
for the machine, so that you can connect to it using just jpersinger,
instead of having to type out the whole hostname.  For the hosts table to
work properly, all the machines on your local network should have a line in
the file and, each machine needs a full copy of the file.

With respect to the underlying question (which I guess is something to do
with using a relay host for sending/recieving e-mail), you need to give us
more details of what you curretnly have set up (mail programs, etc), what
functionality you _expect_ to see, and what symptoms are being seen.

Dan