Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:13:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   resend...

I dropped -hackers of the list for this one... -chat seems better.

> > I'm a fan of OS/x and Pyramid dual universe stuff (which I will add to
> > Freebsd -- think universe bsd and universe gnu/linux) and EVEN I think ONE
>
> Yuck!  That was a total kludge, and Apollo's variant symlinks a far
> more powerful/flexible approach (plus you don't have an extra
> "universe" command, you just set environment variables - principle of
> least surprise).  Please don't perpetuate that system! :-(

I had a minimum exposure to Apollo -- just weeks.

Both Pyramid and Masscomp used the conditional symbolic links.
The universe command wasn't needed on the Pyramid since you could
mix commands like

ps -aux | att cut -f1 -d" " | ucb  something  all in a pipe.

Very flexible.  The users could have their universe set by the admin
AT&T sold these as System 7000's and the users never knew there
was BSD under the hood.

Imagine a linux environment with the GNU tools for a cross development
system in a "linux universe."  Build there and get the Linux libs
for default... Anyone else like the idea... (Yeah, I'm also looking
at a SysV init/getty/ps)...

AT&T types installed the multiple run state init/getty package.

BSD'ers could delete the multiple run states by installing the bsd init
package.

It has 3 uucp's.  HDB, SysVR2, and 4.3 and they will interoperate
over TCP/IP.

I'm going to do it here -- just on my machine.

I'm root, I like it, I have no other users who will complain except
my wife and she's stuck with me.

My daughter's still working with DOS and Windows -- but she's two and
young yet.  She'll learn.  Perhaps she'll even appreciate good old
OS's like VAX/VMS and RSTS/E.

> > 2.  Declare the BSD method (the REAL original crontab) the winner.
>
> I think this is probably our best bet.

I think we should disable the crontab command and make things work like
Edition VII/BSD (pre SysIII) again...

This dual cron stuff is a real annoyance -- it was the cause of my
vnode ref panics (which I should've caught a long time before the
stuff made -hackers...).

I tend to prefer the SysV stuff (it's closer to what I'm working with
--AIX, Solaris, HP-UX -- even SunOS4)... but we should go
one way or another.

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 I'll run Win95 on my box when you pry the keyboard from my cold, dead
 hands.  FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M, RT11, spoken here.