Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:35:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      User Raymond <raymond@one.com.au>
Subject:   need help on AlphaStation 200 freebsd installation

To:   alpha@FreeBSD.ORG

The following is a question (Max) and answer (Mike Smith) session re
problems we are having with the AlphaStation 200 and FreeBSD.  I'm
throwing in my two cents worth because Max has taken over where I got
up to a few weeks ago.

> > Firstly, I just want to apologise of the multiple list. It was a mistake
> > after I have posted out my mail.
>
> You might want to try setting a valid reply-to address, since
> max@one.com.au doesn't work.

I have fixed Max's EMail (my problem - the gateway didn't know him).

> > >Because you have the SRM 'console' variable set incorrectly, and FreeBSD
> > >believes that you are using a serial terminal.  The SRM knows how to
> > >probe for a keyboard, but doesn't correctly export the terminal
> > >interface.  Thus, you must set 'console' to either 'graphics' or 'serial'.
> >
> > I have tried to set my console to both either 'graphics' or 'serial'.
> > And each setting i redo the whole installation process. But it came no
> > changes with those settings.
>
> The setting of the console directly determines whether you use the video
> display or the serial console.  No more and no less, in a fairly obvious
> fashion.

The FreeBSD boot loader both displays on the console and accepts input from
the keyboard - so I doubt the setting of the SRM variable has anything to do
with it.

> > Finally, I got it fully install from the serial terminal without any error
> > occur. But to my surprise, when I boot it up again, I cant get into the
> > main console.
>
> There is no system component or interface that is known as "the main
> console".

What?

> > here's my error
> >
> > Initial rc.alpha initialization:.
> > rc.alpha configuring syscons: blank_time/etc/rc.alpha: cannot open
> > /dev/ttyv0 :
> > no such device or address
> > mousedmoused: cannot open /dev/consolectl: Device not configure
> > /etc/rc.alpha: cannot open /dev/ttyv0: no such device or address
>
> You have configured the screen saver and mouse daemon, but you don't have
> a keyboard attached, or are otherwise using a serial console.

There is both a keyboard and a mouse connected and, in this configuration
the Alpha runs VMS quite happily.

> > This is where it stops. But can I get the serial terminal up with a login
> > prompt.
>
> You still haven't got the console set up properly, or have otherwise
> botched your keyboard or video.  A common mistake is to swap the keyboard
> and mouse connectors around.

No - they are the right way round at least according to VMS and the little
symbols on the back that I need glasses to see.

We really have tried a large number of times to get this going with the same
results.  Initially, I (and Max) used the V3.2 CDs.  I tried (and now Max)
is trying to use 'current'.  The problem with the console (non-serial)
stopping working at the 'screen type' question persists.  We haven't managed
to get 'current' onto the winchester yet - so who knows what will happen then.

Ray Newman