Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:41:11 GMT
From:      Jamie Jones <jamie@northway.bishopston.net>
To:        nils@tisys.org, paul@akita.co.uk
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, brett@lariat.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, djohnson@acuson.com
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Paul wrote:

 [ 8< ]

> Where we then started swinging off-topic was as to whether we should just
> sit here on our thrones and shout "we're all great, you're not, drop MS now
> and come and join us or you're lame", or as to whether we should address all
> the usability issues around our preferred platform to make the user
> experience more accomodating for more people.

 [ 8< ]

> you are, but nobody else is. I'm talking about making a situation where I
> have a copy of Mozilla on my laptop that renders sites designed for IE just
> like IE would. Where Shockwave and Javascript all behaves the way I would
> expect it to in IE. Where IE-only tags get parsed and the output rendered
> correctly. Your argument seems to be that we shouldn't do any of that, and
> we should just tell people that 'our way' is better.

What I find interesting is that this topic is now coming down to the above,
and whether it would be better for us to include IE "standards" to make our
browsers more compatible with the masses, or stand firm, but unfortunately
be less compatible with the majority.

Most people on this thread seem to favour the latter.

To me at least, this thread seems very similar to the recent thread on
the FreeBSD Linux compatibility layer, and whether we should really
emulate Linux or not.

In that case, the vast majority thought the emulation was a good idea.

Help me out here - what's different ? Ok, you can argue that the IE'isms
are non-standard, but as has already been pointed out, they are a
"non-defacto" standard we'd need to follow to promote more widespread use
of our browsers on our OS, which was the main argument for keeping with
Linux emulation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a follower of the web-standards, but
I can certainly see Pauls point of view.

> Anyway, I'm shutting up now, as it's quite obvious that everybody thinks I'm
> wrong for even daring to suggest that MS might actually have a reasonably
> good product in the form of their browser, and I'm obviously being a heretic
> when I say that quite frankly, Mozilla and Konqueror don't match up.

I don't like the Microsoft OS, and I've had to use and support many
incarnations, but I'm not blindly anti-MS - If they release a product
I like, I'll say so. I actually used to like Media Player, but
unfortunately, its recently become very bloated..

Any way, my main problem with IE is it's total disregard for the mime
headers sent back with a http response, which should have been "fixed"
a long time ago...

Cheers,
Jamie