Date:      Tue, 26 May 2009 00:26:35 +0200
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jos Chrispijn <jos@webrz.net>
Subject:   Re: Streaming server

On Monday 25 May 2009 15:41:04 Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> I have some short movies (a la YouTube) that I would like to show as
> video streams. Presenting them by download is messing up my bandwidth
> (...). Can someone tell me if there is a simple solution installing such a
> stream service/server into FreeBDS 7.2?

Generally you can't reduce bandwidth unless you use multicast, which will
(obviously) only work for live streams.

The easiest solution is to imitate youtube: encode your movies to flash video
(ffmpeg can do that), then use a flash movie player on your website to stream.
This basically streams the movie over HTTP. Some (non-flash) players (like
VLC) can also stream over HTTP.

The hard way is to install DarwinStreamingServer, encode your movies to a
format you want (it should fit in an mpeg4 container), add hinting tracks
(using MP4Box) and let your users play the movies through mplayer/vlc or an
embedded movie object on your website. You can even stream to most handsets
this way. This method uses RTSP/RTP over UDP to deliver the content.

Using modern codecs which deliver a high compression ratio w/ good quality
(for example H264 video and AAC audio) will go a long way in reducing
bandwidth.

--
Pieter de Goeje