Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 18:34:37 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, Tim Palmer <timpal@intercall.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3c590...

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Tim Palmer wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to get a 3c590 ethernet board to talk to my FreeBSD
> >> 2.1 (Walnut Creek CD-ROM) and having no luck. I've downloaded if_vx.c
> >> and if_vxreg.h from -current and referenced if_vc in my files.i386, but
> >> the kernel compile fails with 3 messages complaining about if_vx.c
> >> referencing an unknown "if_softc". So, my real question is: as a non C
> >> speaking person, should I not worry about making this 3c590 work just
> >> yet? Or did I just miss a simple step in installing the driver?
> >
> >Trying to back-port it to 2.1-R wouldn't be such a great idea.  Just hang
> >on for the 2.1.5-RELEASE; it includes the 3c590 support, I believe.
>
>    Err, actually, no, it doesn't. We should probably have brought it in
> before the code freeze. :-(

Has it been re-written in the past month?

The code for it that was in a SNAP release is crap. There is no speed
improvement over a 509 and it locks up frequently if you try to transfer
large quantities of data. (eg. FTP something over 1K long - you can
ifconfig vx0 down ; ifconfig vx0 up to restore it but thats unnacceptable)

3com changed thehardware after the 590's were released - shortening the
FIFO sizes probably out of economy or something.

My advice is to either re-write the driver yourself or throw the card
away. I threw the card away and downgraded to 2.1.0-RELEASE as the -SNAP
I was using would crash about twice a day (even without the 590 card
installed)

Gordon
--
Gordon Henderson					gordon@vbc.net