Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 21:41:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dap@damon.com (Damon Anton Permezel)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif question

> "Nate Williams sez: "
> > > The jdk115 port uses lesstif-0.81.
> >
> > *yuck*
>
> Why?  What are the (free) alternatives?  Although I would rather get back
> to actually trying to write some Java code, rather than debugging AWT/Lesstif
> interactions, I might be tempted to argue that we should be working towards
> either making lesstif better, or AWT Motif-independent.

Lesstif engaged in some reverse engineering practices for Motif that
are highly questionable.  If I were OSF (er... "The Open Group"), I
would wait until Lesstif actually worked, then I would bury them in
lawyers.  After all, Motif is OSF's major revenue source.

Also depending on Lesstif before it actually works is asking for
trouble.  Or beta-testers.  Whatever.

> > > (BTW: running this with anything but mwm causes the X-server to rapidly bloat
> > >  until all 500meg of swap space is consumed!)
> >
> > The AOL software, or the JDK in general?  We've have really good luck
> > with your last binary release, although lots of AWT stuff is broken, and
> > Swing components don't work at all.
>
> I care not for the AOL s/w, except for the fact that it causes immediate
> X-server death unless one uses mwm or afterstep, and that it also causes
> SEGV or ABRT traps, and I'd like to remove as many bugs as possible from the
> next beta of the JDK port.

This is a problem with the Lesstif's ICCCMP stuff; specifically, when
there is not anyone on the other end of the phone, they shouldn't be
interning atoms.

I personally haven't gotten into the Lesstif sources any more than I've
gotten into the OSF/Motif sources, since I didn't want to be contaminated
from working on a Motif clone, by association.

> The main issue is time, I guess, and the "cleanup source and figure out how
> to generate diffs" task just keeps getting lower priority.

Heh.  My main issue was the infernal "dladdr" that the FreeBSD dynamic
of the shared library that's calling it so that it can go up two
directories and down one to find where it left it's classes.zip.  8-(.
Stupid way to do it...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---