Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:54:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, <cuomo@cts.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emacs starts very slow

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> types:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 01:47:36AM -0800, Orion Slevin wrote:
> > It takes emacs a long time to start up on freebsd. Its been
> > like that for every release (for me at least). What can I do
> > to fix it?
> > Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
> Get more memory, perhaps?  Emacs is a somewhat heavy program.  You might
> be running short on memory, and it takes ages to load.

This is a pretty standard performance problem, so the standard
approaches should work. Try running "vmstat 5" when you start emacs.
Expect activity in the flt & pi columns as emacs starts. If you start
seeing things in the po column, that's trouble.

ps after it's start can also help you with that one. Try "ps uxm" to
get a list of all your processes, sorted by (virtual) memory
usage. %MEM is the percentage of real memory used; VSZ is the virtual
set size (how much virtual memory that process is using), and RSS is
the resident set size (how much real memory that process is using). If
VSZ is much larger than RSZ for emacs, that's another sign of trouble.

	<mike