Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:07:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: update on keyboard lockup with SNAP

As Jan Isley wrote:

> > Hmm, i should have pointed you to the documentation in
> > /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc.  My fault.
>
> Ah, well getting anything requires going through several systems
> and slow modems just to get here, so I had only been getting the
> ssys.src anyway.  I am very new to BSD, but I thought that was
> what man pages and /usr/share was for.  ;-)

Did you find Alt-F<n> somewhere in a man page? ;-) Currently, pcvt is
third-party software, designed to compile on several systems.  I've
heavily tweaked the original directory structure of the pcvt distrib-
ution to fit halfways into our /usr/src structure.  Maintaining the
pcvt doc under /usr/share would cause the potential risk of being
different from the docs under /usr/src.  I think it might be possible
to make this doc a separate (small) source package however, and leave
a pointer to it under /usr/share.

(Maybe i will add a small intro for the keyboard usage into pcvt(4),
but hey, did you even read that man page? :-)

> > > typing esc-k-return (with bash set -ao vi that is) ...

> > Well, you `vi' fans out there.  Wouldn't have it been better to
> > temporarily ``set -o emacs'' and simly hit the up arrow key? :-}

> Sure, if I had thought of it. :-(  I *prefer* vi editing modes
> because I learned vi first.  At this point, I think it would take
> me a few decades to learn to like emacs.

Not to start a ``why is mine better than yours'' discussion, but
i've always found the arrow keys easier to `learn'.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/