Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:31:34 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jamie Jones <jamie@northway.bishopston.net>
Cc:        nils@tisys.org, paul@akita.co.uk, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, brett@lariat.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, djohnson@acuson.com
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Jamie Jones wrote:
> To me at least, this thread seems very similar to the recent thread on
> the FreeBSD Linux compatibility layer, and whether we should really
> emulate Linux or not.
>
> In that case, the vast majority thought the emulation was a good idea.
>
> Help me out here - what's different ?

The precise case in question is a web site that uses the
JavaScript browser identification to exclude browsers other
than IE or Netscape running on Windows.

To "be compatible", we would have to lie to the JavaScript
interpreter, so that when it ran locally (which is where
JavaScript runs), it believed that it was running on an IE
or Netscape of the appropriate version on Windows.

To do this, we would have to illegally use at least one
trademark.

This seems to be what you are suggesting.

-- Terry