Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 23:45:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@beta.mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5 install on ASUS+Pent.+SC200+hp3725S

Hi,

a few days ago I asked about the same problem already on -questions.
Maybe -hardware is more appropriate for this.
Meanwhile, I did some experimenting, but with no luck.

?  The install program does not recognize the hp hard disk,
?  although it is probed initially correct.
?  (Under DOS one can (of course :-) boot from the HD without problems.)

To install 2.1.5, I'm using an
    ASUS-P55TP4XEG board
    with 2 SC200 controllers and
    an S3-PCI-VGA-card (VC-962)
    7 TEAC CD-56S,
    2 SMC8016 combos (IRQs 10 and 11),
    1 hp 35480A DAT, and
    1 hp C3725S (50 MB DOS partition).

In the BIOS the IDEs are disabled and the IRQs
for the PCI slots were initially set:
    Slot 1 (Right)    IRQ 15          <-- ncr1
    Slot 2                14          <-- ncr0
    Slot 3            Auto            <-- vga0
    Slot 4 (Left)     Auto

I also changed the IRQs for #1 and #2 to 15, 14 and to 'Auto'.
Moreover, I tried swapping the SCSI cables.

On probing the devices, the kernel emits
  pci0:10  IRQ 15 for vga0
  pci0:11  IRQ  9 for ncr0  (hp C3725S = 0, TEAC CD = 2 & 3, hp 35480A = 6)
  pci0:12  IRQ 12 for ncr1  (TEAC CD = 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

When the install menu appears the debug screen VTY2 shows:

  sd0(ncr0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted, retries: 4
  sd0(ncr0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted, retries: 3
  sd0(ncr0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted, retries: 2
  sd0(ncr0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted, retries: 1
  sd0(ncr0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted, retries: FAILURE
  sd0: error reading primary partition table reading fsbn 0 (sd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)

And when calling the partition editor a box appears which says:
  No disk found ! Please verify ...

I reduced the configuration step by step by removing
 o  the second SC200 interface (ncr1 with 5 CDs)
 o  the two CDs on the first SCSI interface
 o  the streamer

But the messages shown above remained even in the minimal configuration
with only the hp 3725S connected to one SC200.
I even tried the 2.1R install disk without success.
(No errors with streamer and without HD -- but how to partition a tape ? :-)

Let me note that I'm using at home a hp3725S on an AHA1542B without problems.

I read in the archives that this error message has something to do with
tagged commands, but what can I do ?
I also followed the -questions and found that others also have trouble
with hp disks connected to NCR controllers.

I hope you can help me by providing some steps to make the disk run
or state (with some reasoning) that I should drop this disk and make
the dealer change it. (to what type ?)

Thanks,
Robert

PS: since I'm not subscribed to -hardware please CC to me.

--
Robert Eckardt                                                     (
    Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, Inst.f.Theor.Physik, NB6/169          )
>>> A magician never reveals his secret:  the unbelievable trick becomes <<<
>>>                             simple and obvious once it is explained. <<<
Privat:
    Steinbrink 22,  D-45355 Essen,  Germany  -====-  Telefon: +49 201 678602