Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:39:18 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Jamie Jones <jamie@northway.bishopston.net>
Cc:        nils@tisys.org, paul@akita.co.uk, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, brett@lariat.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, djohnson@acuson.com
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Jamie Jones said on Nov  2, 2001 at 16:41:11:
> > you are, but nobody else is. I'm talking about making a situation where I
> > have a copy of Mozilla on my laptop that renders sites designed for IE just
> > like IE would. Where Shockwave and Javascript all behaves the way I would
> > expect it to in IE. Where IE-only tags get parsed and the output rendered
> > correctly. Your argument seems to be that we shouldn't do any of that, and
> > we should just tell people that 'our way' is better.

> To me at least, this thread seems very similar to the recent thread on
> the FreeBSD Linux compatibility layer, and whether we should really
> emulate Linux or not.
>
> In that case, the vast majority thought the emulation was a good idea.
>
> Help me out here - what's different ?

Bad analogy.  The linux compatibility layer allows you to run linux
binaries, unmodified: it's analogous to wine, not to "windows-ifying
FreeBSD".

I think most FreeBSD people would agree that an (optional) subsystem
like wine that lets you run windows binaries seamlessly, and which
works as well as the linux compatibility, would be a good thing.  Many
people wouldn't want it, but many others would.  This is not at all
the same thing as modifying FreeBSD itself, or programs like Mozilla,
to mimic Windows behaviour.

- Rahul.