Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:57:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need a name for the vinum daemon

> You probably know about Vinum, my new volume manager (see
> http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html if you don't).  You may not know that
> the name is a play on words.  "Vinum" is Latin for "wine", and I
> derived the name from the Latin saying "In vino veritas" (In wine is
> truth).
>
> Now I find I need a daemon to do some work that requires process
> context.  What should I call the daemon?  There should be all sorts of
> word plays on the devil drink and such, but I can't think of anything
> appropriate.  If anybody can suggest a good name, preferably Latin,
> I'll give you a bottle of wine (or at least a Vinum core dump :-)

Bacchus, of course.

You might try "satyrd" for two different puns involving wine, "faund"
(depending on how obsequious the daemon is), or more banal items like
"vintnerd" (I thought that was almost too obvious), "vd" (possible
indirect consequence), "yeast" (if it helps make vinum what it is), and
probably more.  I'm desperately trying to remember the proper name for
winemaking, but I'm stuffed if I can come up with it just now.