Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 22:10:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        perlsta@sunyit.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, capriotti@geocities.com
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

> One paragraph higlighting the technical (as opposed to practical)
> fallacies behind all this crap.
>
>  - VGA hardware is not "on almost any system".  Especially as you move
>    into really serious applications, fewer systems have any display
>    hardware at all.

"FreeBSD Server"

>  - XFree supports "generic" VGA cards just fine.  In addition, there
>    are perfectly adequate X servers for PC hardware that would let you
>    use other systems for the bringup.

"FreeBSD Workstation"

Heh.  "FreeBSD CE", anyone?

> The *real* problem, as Jordan has pointed out, is that there are far
> too many of you willing to crap on at great length about how wonderful
> this would be.
>
> And nobody with the conviction to actually *DO* something about it.

Actually, a commercial X server vendor volunteered a free 640x480
X server for FreeBSD to use in this kind of install about a year
(maybe more?) ago, and was flatly turned down.

Personally, I don't think X is the way to go, unles you can show
it as being light weight enough.

Have you seen the QNX download?  I'd much prefer something like
MGR, if graphics must be used (I'm not convinced they are needed;
I'm much more likely to say it's an install archtecture, not an
install implementation technology, issue).

In any case, as I pointed out in my last message of this subject,
you can get the same benefits without X -- my Windows 3.1 installer
example still stands, I think.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---