Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2014 21:14:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        John Mehr <jmehr@umn.edu>, Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: size of source tree

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 514, Issue 11, Message: 1
On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 13:04:09 +0100 Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org> wrote:
 > On 12/04/2014 12:50, Matthew Seaman wrote:
 > > On 12/04/2014 10:09, Erich Dollansky wrote:
 > >> Hi,

 > >> both have been obtained with svn. The smaller one was started last year
 > >> with the then current version of svn.
 > >>
 > >> Is there an option to turn this behaviour of keeping a copy off?
 > >
 > > Not if you want to use SVN.  You can use freebsd-update to get system
 > > sources -- but only from a release branch.
 >
 > Wasn't svnup (${PORTS}/net/svnup) designed for this? It fetches from svn
 > respositories but doesn't use the .svn directory.

Indeed.  I did some early testing (c. v0.56 IIRC) of svnup and sent John
Mehr (cc'd) some observations and a few suggestions on a then 9.1 system
that subsequently died.  Early versions only used svn: protocol and were
pretty slow (and CPU-intensive) from here, before John rewrote the tree
indexing code and added http: and https: protocols.

So the other night I installed it from 9.2-R ports, getting v1.0 (since
upgraded to fix a bug with 10.0 I see).  I fetched the 'release' target
to a work area so I could compare it with my virgin 9.2-R sources but
silly me hadn't noticed that target fetched base/releng/9.2 rather than
base/release/9.2.0, so all the ID headers were different of course :)

So I blew that away and did it again with release/9.2.0, after which
diff -r /usr/src /tmp/release returned nothing, well passing that test.

Both times took about two hours to pull the sources (using https:) which
still seemed kinda slow, with svnup never using over ~7% CPU, mostly
half that, so I don't really understand why it takes tat long, unless
the RTT to svn0.us-west.freebsd.org of ~215ms might be a factor?

I haven't tried svn for comparison but would expect to get more than
~170KB/s out of my 8-10Mbps otherwise idle link.  Maybe someone could
comment on that, though I notice in the very next digest message:

 > From: Lena@lena.kiev.ua
 > [..]
 > rm -rf /usr/src
 > svn export svn://svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org/base/releng/8.4 /usr/src
 >
 > Takes about 30 minutes.

To which Erich later responded:

 > At your place, yes, not where I am most of the time.

So Erich, how does an initial two hours sound to you, to save 900MB?
You might do better from Europe to us-east than from here, dunno.

However a subsequent repeat run (updating nothing) took only a bit over
2 minutes, confirming earlier experience that the initial whole-tree
fetch is slow but null or small incremental updates are quite fast
enough for its intended use - ie a cvsup replacement for non-developers
who want to upgrade their sources, track stable and such without the
need for pushing patches (ie committing); for designed use I think it's
a useful and very lightweight tool; I'd recommend having a play with it.

As for overheads, svnup just keeps a full index of the src repository
(which for 9.2.0 is 800MiB) in
 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   3.5M Apr 14 02:37 /var/tmp/svnup/release

which is seriously light-weight vs the size doubling of /usr/src/.svn

I haven't tried svnup for ports; portsnap works well and quickly for me.

cheers, Ian