Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 19:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV making symbolic link, not mouse dev.

> > sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
> >
> > I don't know where I got this, but I suspect the device file to be tty00
> > or mouse. However, if I do "/dev/MAKEDEV tty00" then /dev/tty00 is NOT
> > created, and no error message is given. If I try "/dev/MAKEDEV mouse" then
> > a symbolic link, /dev/mouse is created, linked to ITSELF....
>
> I don't know why the 'mouse' target exists in MAKEDEV, but that'
> irrelevant.
>
> In any case, if you do a 'man sio', you'll see:
>
> FILES
>      /dev/ttyd?   for callin ports
>      /dev/ttyid?
>      /dev/ttyld?  corresponding callin initial-state and lock-state
>
> So, since the mouse 'calls in' (sends data to the system), you would use
> /dev/ttyd?, where ? is the device number of the port, in your case it
> would be /dev/ttyd0.

I have the device now. I can't test it in Xwin because I still have
problems with XF86Config. (See other mail from me re: XF86Config)

The FreeBSD documentation at :
http://xfree86.pacificrim.net/XFree86/3.1.1/FreeBSD-4.html
suggests that I use "cat < /dev/tty00" (in my case "cat < /dev/ttyd0") to
test the mouse by "just make(ing) sure that it generates output when the
mouse is moved or clicked"

When I do "cat < /dev/ttyd0" the mouse does not generate any output
visible on the screen. When redirected to a file, the file remains empty.
Also, Cntl-D has no effect, so I have to switch to another virtual
terminal to terminate the process with a kill command. Does this mean that
ttyd0 may not be the right device after all?

Thanks again. Ken Marsh