Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2003 18:11:17 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        jhs@tower.berklix.net
Subject:   Re: Least supported laptop for FreeBSD under $1k

I'll nominate the Inspiron 1100 from Dell.  Dell ACPI never works
out-of-the-box (on any model I've tried).  The mouse on the 1100
doesn't even work until basic fixes are made to the ACPI code.
Suspend doesn't work (not even S1).

XFree86 doesn't work without a hack.  The default is only 840K of
video memory.  The hack sets this amount to some arbitrary amount.  So
X works, but could use some hacking.  It's the intel 845 chipset.

The ethernet is bfe (recently added driver) and works.  IIRC, you can
have an internal mini-pci card installed (not positive on that).
Dell's USB bluetooth (which is internal) doesn't appear to be
supported.

There are interrupts that are flagged as spurrious.  I think the IDE
controller causes them ... but it doesn't fall back into PIO
mode... so I dunno what's up.

Sound is supported, 3D X isn't well supported.  Good news is 1100's
are really cheap.

Dave..

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |