Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:49:28 -0500
From:      Chris <chris@tourneyland.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   State of Java Development on FreeBSD

(This is sort of a unrelated followup to my previous posting)

Hey all,

I'm developing some server-side java code. I'm a Windows guy (though I've
been running FreeBSD for over a year now, half-assedly hosting some Web
sites), and thus far I've been doing all my development on Windows, using
jikes as my compiler and Apache for Windows as my Web server. But
ultimately, everything's going to be served by FreeBSD, and it's time I
start testing on a FreeBSD machine.

One option would be to go all the way - get X-Windows running on my local
FreeBSD dev machine, learn emacs or something, and make that my desktop
machine. I'm a little intimidated by this prospect, in that I've never even
successfully gotten X installed before (I've made a few tries, but was
undone by undocced cheapy video cards and gave up). If I go this route, any
suggestions for development tools? I don't need any fancy form designers or
any visual stuff - I'm currently using Textpad and compiling from the
command line fom Windows, and all I really need is a little project
managment stuff.

A (potentially) simpler option would be to keep my Windows machine as my
development machine, and through a combination of Samba and I guess some
other stuff, control my Free machine from my Windows machine. Samba would
be good enough for file editing, but for compiling and running I suppose
I'd have to Alt-Tab back and forth to a telnet window, which isn't too
savory. Are there tools out there for doing this sort of thing that I'm not
aware of?

Thanks,
Chris