Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:04:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.de
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.2.8: parts recommendation for fast 1 scsi channel sys

As ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.de wrote...

> I need some recommendation for a fast FreeBSD 2.2.8 system, that is needed
> as an archive for router and switch data. But it*%s a small case machine, that
> will
> be located in an office, so temperature shouldn*%t get too high.

Keep in mind that the faster harddisks of today really appreciate cool air.
So, with a small case to house the machine you better think of adding an extra
fan. Obviously depends on your room temperature etc.

> I need the following devices on 1 SCSI bus (preferred)
>  CD-ROM
>  TAPE (Sony DDS3 12/24 GB)
>  1 Harddisk (9 or 18 GByte)
>
> Best would be wide scsi, then I could choose the Seagate ST118273W (Wide SCSI,
> 18 GB, 7200 U/Min),
> But I doubt that it*%s easy for me then, to get CD-Rom and DDS3 in wide scsi
> and mixing narrow
> and wide depends on Wide/narrow connectors, that might cause trouble, or ?!

There exist 'translation' connectors that allow 86pin HD - 50 pin header connections
for the narrow devices. I suggest running a 68pin HD cable thru the machine and
put a 68pin HD terminator on the far end of the cable. The CD and tape can then
be in the middle and use the 'translation' (there is probably a fance name for them)
connectors.

> So I thought about this:
>  24/32 Speed CD-ROM, Narrow
>  Sony SDT-S9000 12/24 GB, Narrow
>  Barracuda ST118273N, Narrow
>  AHA2940U
>
> What do you think of this ? Other recommendations ?!
>
> BTW, is the AHA 2940U2 supported in FreeBSD 2.2.7 / 2.2.8 ?

2940U2 is -current only if I'm not mistaken. Why do you want U2

> Would it be possible, to mix an U2W harddisk with narrow scsi devices like
> DDS3 tape and CD-ROM ???

Yes, but keep in mind that you have to adhere to Ultra2 cable rules which means something
like 0.75 meters max. You can probably get away with 1m but that is about it.

> Do you know DDS3 tapes 12/24 GB and 24 speed or higher CD-ROM*%s in wide SCSI
> technology ?

Plextor has wide CD drives IIRC. For DAT I don't know. I don't like DAT drives.
Remember what the acronym DDS stands for: "Dat Drives S*ck"

Wilko