Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 00:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        JOHN@gab.unt.edu (John Booth)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keyboard intermittently locked @ boot: prompt.

> > > Well, as the title reads the keyboard on one of my sytems
> > > is intermittently locked @ the boot: prompt
> > > Intel Premiere II motherboard.  Only problem I have found w/2.05R ;).
> >
> > I only have one comment:  ``Take that Intel Premiere II (aka Plato) and
> > through it in the nearest trash can''.
>
> That seems a bit harsh ;)....Sorry our micro-maintenance shop here is
> really big on Intel MB's...(I don't care for them personally).
> Not a big deal.  Just thought if it was a REAL bug and not some
> hardware idiosyncrosy w/Intel garbage that it may have needed to be
> looked into.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, but right now I am not a very happer camper
with Intel as they have been jerking my chain pretty hard lately and
I really feel like going out to Hillsboro and giving Andy G. (CEO of Intel,
can't remeber his last name, but it starts with a G) a big piece of my mind.

Let me see, hang at the boot: prompt, humm... what version of the
funky Intel bios does this have (ie, have you checked to see if you
have the latest for this board, it is a flash upgradeable board and
there have been many bios related bug fixes).

This is 2.0.5, so the boot blocks should not be trying to do serial
port console stuff any more [This did get turned off in didn't it??]

I can't come up with what it would be right off the top of my head as
I have not seen a hang at boot: from any one in a long long time.

At this point in the boot code it should be spinning on a BIOS int 0x16
trying to get a character from the keyboard.