Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:12:05 -0700
From:      "Michael P. Sale" <mike@merchantsnet.com>
To:        "Nik Clayton" <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Lists, newbies & support (was: Re: Where to get Windows Internet stuff/ More on Windows & BSD)

>Tell me about it.
>
>Case in point: A few (3 or 4 I think) months ago there was a spate of
>Year 2000 questions on -questions. Getting bored of wading through these,
>I put together various bits and pieces and created the FreeBSD Y2K web
>page where these things are addressed.
>
>Once, sometimes twice a day someone comes into -questions and asks "Is
>FreeBSD Y2K compliant?" (or a variant on that theme). At least now they're
>generally just given the URL in a one or two line message and it's left
>at that. But it is disheartening to know that they didn't bother checking
>the site, the search engine or the mailing list archives first.

Nik, I could kiss you. Not really.  This is my point.  I can only guess that
most newbie questions get continually repeated.  As such, good things such
as web pages with detailed newbie type information would occur more often
and, more importantly, be geared towards the newbie.  To me, this is a good
thing.

Mike