Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 1995 13:41:26 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@blaise.ibp.fr>, FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 2.05A

> 	Really?  I was told that the 2.05A sources would allow me to
> upgrade but I won't get any of the disk optimizations and other things
> without doing a full install and I would need to do a full reinstall to
> get properly optimized and coverted to the slice code since there will
> probably be no backwards compatibility of this in 2.1.  Can anyone
> confirm this?  Jordan?  Thanks.

This is all true.  Please folks, don't mislead people by telling them
that "upgrades" are a simple matter of holding your left foot in the
air while extracting the bindist over a system in single user mode
while "Muskrat Love" is playing on the radio.  Sure, it might _work_
but whether or not it works 100% is another matter, and WE get to pick
up the pieces afterwards in the questions list!

THERE IS NO UPGRADE PATH FROM 2.0R TO 2.0.5!  I'm sorry, I wish there
was, but there wasn't time to do the work.

					Jordan