Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:59:48 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Subject:   Embedded servers + PicoBSD?

Folks,

	The story on /. about the Netcomm Modem/Hub/Server (running an
embedded version of Linux, see
<http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=124&tid=1>) has gotten
me thinking about how you could do something like this (or even
better) on FreeBSD.

	It also occurred to me that you could do the WAN networking part
with standard PC Cards, and you could even throw in wireless 802.11b
networking as well.

	Does anyone know of any good embedded hardware systems that are
well-supported by FreeBSD, and can support a hard drive (e.g., an
IDE/ATAPI drive like you might find in a laptop), plus a couple of PC
Cards?

	If you've got this much, I think most of the rest of the drivers
pretty much already fall right into place, and all you'd have to do
is cook up a case to put the thing in, and a small four or five-port
hub to plug onto the back of the machine (which would then get
integrated into the case).

	Just curious.