Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:47:50 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Subject:   Re:  vat and X lockup

> ***easy enough for me to add to my multimedia web page, is it still
> ***true that vmix does not work with the new sound drivers or was that
> ***changed with your newest sources?

Vmix doesn't work with the new sound drivers.  I havn't put up the
lastest sound drivers on my system yet.  I am not sure if I will fix
vmix or just fix the sound drivers in the kernel and try and eliminate
vmix -- it will all depend on how much time I can spend on the problem.

I have a 100mhz pentium, asus mb, edo drams, pipe-lined burst, etc...
Here are a few things to try:

	o In the bios setup, make sure that drq 1,3 are dedicated to the
	  isa bus, and your gus irq is also dedicated to the isa bus.
	o Check your BIOS and upgrade to the current version:
		http://192.72.126.1/Products/bios.html
	  There were some PCI latency timer problems with older versions
	  of the bios as well as a few other things.
	o Make sure your drams are 60ns.  If you are running a
	  100 or a 133mhz system, the drams (edo or fpm) must be 60ns.
	  For 90 or 120 mhz systems, 70ns is fine.  If you are running
	  a 133 mhz system with 70ns drams, slow it down to a 120 and
	  things will probably work for you (abit slow:) or contact
	  your vendor and exchange the 70ns for 60ns drams.
	o Upgrade the system to 2.1-stable or 2.2-current.  Amancio and
	  had some weird vm problems when he was running 2.1R and I
	  was 2.2-current a month ago, but they have seem to have
	  gone away in the current stuff.
	o There were some problems with asus pipe-lined cache modules.
	  Try disabling the cache and see if the problem goes away.  If
	  it does, then contact your vendor and exchange the cache module.

Can't think of anything else off hand.

	-Jim