Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:02:16 -0500
From:      "Robert Atkinson" <phreaki@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what can i do with a 486?

On 1/18/07, deeptech71@gmail.com <deeptech71@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > deeptech71@gmail.com wrote:
>

> Does routing need a lot of RAM? What packet throughput speed can I expect
> when
> it's juggling data between RAM and HDD?

I'd say don't do anything that would move much data back and forth in I/O, I
believe the last time I did this was back on an old Gateway 486. Moving that
squid/dns/fileserver back to a pentium II was the best upgrade.

Packet filtering wise, I'd say compared to what I get from chips like Geode
and such, 2 megabit probably, depending on what you're doing. Filtering
bridge was able to top me off at like 10 megabit I think.

Good idea. Thanx! I'll try that.
> But doesn't FreeBSD configure things for specific hardware when installed
> on
> one computer? And does it work if install on a new generation 386?

In general yes, however  when a system is older than a 486, an older version
of bsd is required I believe.

--
Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond
to it.