Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:05:06 -0500
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@post.vale.com>
To:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ipfw considered harmful (not?)

I've used ipfw in past with very satisfactory results, protecting
small corporation from the Internet.  Don't know ipfilter for comparison.

What made ipfw bearable was an rc.ipfw script, beginning with
environmental variables for major addresses, and the line
  ipfw flush
as the first real ipfw command.

I don't think it would be too hard to graft an HTML/CGI front-end
onto ipfw (anyone seen Checkpoint?).  Does ipfilter do this?

On the downside -

I found the code for ipfw to be unreadable, mainly due to lack
of comments in key areas.  That always makes me suspicious the
writer started with "int i;" rather than a design for the code.

[Nothing personal against the original author - just that I spent
over a decade reading student programming efforts and eventually
lost all patience with puzzling over needlessly undocumented code.]