Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:04:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        michaelnottebrock@gmx.net
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpeg 4/divx

On 16 Apr, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Did you removed "-Werror" or did you fix every error? I'm fixing every
>> error at the moment (3 things to do at the moment, it is still compiling
>> the rest). For comments about a port see another mail from me (I will
>> send it when I got it compiled completely, together with what to do to
>> fix the errors).
>
> I removed -Werror. The include breakage didn't seem to me like anything
> worth "fixing". Also, I had planned to make a port of the most vital

I would feel better if you fix it as I described.

> utilities of the package (and fix it all up in a way they'd build using
> existing ports rather than all the unpatched stuff in the tarball) and

Sounds great.

> then another one of the darwin streaming server. Do want you to go ahead

What about: You provide the port(s), and I commit it.

> with it? I'd then gladly move on to port mjpegtools. So much
> videoprocessing/encoding software out there to port ... :)

Yes.

>>>utilities compile and I can play divx/xvid-encoded AVIs with mp4player.
>>

>> Even divx5 ones?
>
> I highly doubt it, but I don't have any to test. Frankly, I'm not
> interested in divx5, since there's no way of creating such files with
> FreeBSD. I'm rather going with xvid (which has just recently hit the
> ports tree, btw.).

I expect at least to be able to use the linux encoder as soon as it hits
the street. From a comparision at doom9.org xvid seems to be a good
candidate.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.