Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 08:18:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        me@gw.muc.ditec.de
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP filtering strawman, comments please.

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Michael Elbel wrote:

> In lists.freebsd.hackers you write:
>
> >>   - Masquareda certain connections for another IP's /ports/whatever.
>
> >If this feature alone were the only fall-out of a firewall redesign
> >project, there would be many hats in the air, I can assure you.  I
> >have a good friend in SF myself who's finances only allow the purchase
> >of one IP address, but he has 5 machines on his home ethernet.  I've
> >often wished I could tell him that FreeBSD had a solution to his
> >problem (and no, I'm too busy to get involved, thanks - you want to

> There already is a solution - install something like TIS' fwtk or socks
> to relay the connections from the other machines.

I'd rather do it that way so I could dump Linux on the firewall, but I
don't have the time to configure all the proxy stuff on 75 machines
running 10 different OS's, about 6 different apps (some of which I don't
have source for), and optimize it so that it doesn't go through the proxy
server for the intranet stuff (which is actually the bulk of the traffic).