Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:29:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> >Before bundling and releasing this (or just plastering it into -current
> >8) I'm looking for:
> >
> > - Testers.  Naturally, I need people to find my bugs. 8)
> >
> > - A better image format.  The DIB (.BMP) format is relatively easy to
> >   work with, but a 320x200x8 image runs the best part of 64k, which is
> >   slow to load from floppy and wastes valuable core.
>
> How about GIF?
>
> Kazu

	While the being able to mooch off the large BMP archives of splash
screens it a laudable goal, I see no reason why we cannot support other
formats.  If anything at least one compressed format should be supported,
.png, .jpeg, or .whatever.  This way a compressed image could be more
reasonable be packed into the installation floppy with little overhead.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,