Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:23:30 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Julian@whistle.com, Elischer@whistle.com, archie@whistle.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  src/sbin/route keywords route.8 route.c

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:20:22 -0700 (PDT), Julian Elischer <julian@freefall.freebsd.org> said:
>
> > julian      96/08/13 15:20:22
> >   Modified:    sbin/route  keywords route.8 route.c
> >   Log:
> >   Submitted by: Archie@whistle.com
> >   if making a interface route, and it's a P2P link,
> >   then also automatically lable it as an llinfo entry so that
> >   gated and friends don't clobber it..
>
> No, wrong.  IFF_LLINFO means that rt->rt_llinfo points to something
> useful.  Back this out.

Not by my reading of the code..
the way I read it, the RTF_LLINFO (not IFF_LLINFO)  simply says that
it is "generated by ARP or ESIS" (as the .h file indicates..
I genmeralise that to
"created by some module that knows about the linklevel of that
interface"

Now, it is upto whoever generated it to know what is in the rt_llinfo
field.. it is defined as a caddr_t for this reason (should be a
A(void *))  All cases of code that I have seen look first to see that
this is NOT a NULL before dereferencing it. I put it to you that
the  NULLNESS of the pointer indicates that there is nothing there,
and that the llinfo says that it is a link level routing entry and
nothing more.

 By my reading of the code and the stevend book your definition is
not correct.

A compromise would be to make the user manually set the llinfo bit,
but we are only setting it automatically in the case where not setting
it makes no sense. We are not setting it unless the user is setting a
interface level routing entry to a P2P link, in which case there is no
llinfo anyhow.

I'm not saying that we can't be convinced, but that the argument you
have just given isn't the one to convince us..