Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:50:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, David Johnson wrote:

> People have difficulty with computers because they do lots of things in
> lots of interesting ways. There are two ways I see of making them
> easier. The first is to raise the computer literacy level of the general
> public. The second is to start marketing specific purpose computer
> appliances.

I guess that a lot of the success the computer have had during the past
years was also caused by them being general purpose items. In fact, I
guess each office is now powered by computers because they have replaced
typewriter, filing cabinets, the need to do manual calculations and
charts, and to some extend even postal mail service. Furthermore, the
question should really be asked all the way: Right now, looking at
computers (no matter if FreeBSD or Windows), we have a few basics to
learn, and once these basics are learnt, everything works more or less the
same way. Microsoft says that if you can use *one* program of their office
suite, you can, without much learning, use *all* of them. On FreeBSD, once
you have realized how one command works, it's not much more than having a
look at the manpage of any other command and see what options there are.
In contrast, if we had one device for word processing, one device for
creating spreadsheets, one device for databases, and so on, I guess not
just would our offices be clogged up, but in the worst case all of these
devices would look-and-feel entirely different, thus making them even
harder to use.

Looking at your example, I guess a combined car-boat-airplane would
probably be rather easy to handle. Switch to car mode, use the steering
wheel and the pedals and drive along. Put it into water, use the same
steering wheel and pedals and you have a boat. It would work similarely
when switching to airplane mode.

Then again, a VCR or TV set are probably rather specific-purpose
appliances, and yet there are numerous people who don't really know how to
set their VCR's clocks or how to set stations on their TV sets. There are
even people who are unable to get their digital watches switched from
daylight saving time to normal time...

For computers, the public probably needs to be educated, and at the same
time the system can be made easier to use for them. KDE and Gnome seem to
try to achieve that in the Unix world. I'm never against such methods of
making devices easier to use, as long as the flexibility which is
important to advanced users is not being sacrificed.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org