Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2002 11:26:32 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        frank@exit.com, stable@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Numerous hard hangs on TWO different ASUS P4T-E w/P4 1.6G

Lars Eggert wrote:
> Frank Mayhar wrote:
> > I see very common short-term hangs, a few seconds to less than a minute.
> > The mouse and keyboard stop responding, X stops updating and everything
> > just pauses, the whole system (including the network).  It then starts
> > back up, often dropping keyboard or mouse data.  Once in a while (not
> > sure how often, but at least every couple of days) it hangs solid and
> > never comes back.  Totally unresponsive.  This invariably requires a
> > hard reset.
> >
> > This is a busy system.  Near-constant load on the network (some 40-100KB/s),
> > lots of disk accesses.  Seems worse when network and/or SCSI load is high.
>
> I've seen these, too, on a dual-P3 Dell Precision 420. Under high loads
> (buildworld), I get the exact same short-time freezes that sometimes
> recover, and sometimes lockup the machine solid.
>
> We have the same sound card (and network card), and in my case, not
> playing audio during high loads solves the problem - are you using your
> audio device at all when this happens?

If you have NNTP enabled, you might try disabling that, as well.  It
could be something unexpected in the timer code.

Another alternative could be to force:

	kern.timecounter.method: 0
	kern.timecounter.hardware: i8254

If this is not the default on your system, in case it's a coupling
problem.

-- Terry