Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:42:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Paul Richards.width" <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Where to discuss architectural issues (was: How about building modules along with the kernel? (was: cvs commit: src/sys/modules/syscons/fire fire_saver.c src/sys/modules/syscons/rain rain_saver.c src/sys/modules/syscons/warp warp_saver.c))

On Wednesday, 26 April 2000 at 12:13:56 +0100, Paul Richards.width wrote:

Richards.width?

> Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> The discussion should be moved to freebsd-arch then.
>>>
>>> FOLLOWS UP DIRECTED THERE.  PLEASE *REMOVE* cvs-all & cvs-committers from
>>> this thread.
>>
>> In theory, that's all well and good.  But look what wc -l tells me:
>>
>>      679 cvs-all
>>     1739 freebsd-current
>>      481 freebsd-arch
>>
>> cvs-all doesn't appear to be a real mailing list, be we all know that
>> there are about 200 people there.  That means nearly 900 people on the
>> (mutually exclusive) cvs lists, at least another 800 over in -current,
>> less than 500 in -arch.  You can't force a committer to join -arch,
>> which is why I still prefer -committers.
>
> But the reason that not all committers join arch is because not all
> committers are "arch" hackers.

That's one reason.  Another is inertia.

> There used to be (still is but everyone ignores it) a policy that
> discussions should not take place on any committers lists because
> they are for the notification of commits and nothing more. There are
> a myriad other lists for holding technical discussions.

Agreed.  But I still think we're missing something.  It wasn't that
long ago that we did that sort of thing on -hackers, which has
suffered too much bloat to be useful any more.  I once discussed a
change on -hackers, at a time when -arch was a shadow of a list, and
then committed, to be immediately asked to remove the fix again
because people on -committers didn't want it.  That was when we
decided to put this kind of discussion on -arch.

I think -arch is the right place.  I'd just like to make sure that
-committers doesn't get left out, and the best way I can think of to
do that is to add -committers to the -arch list.

Greg