Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:31:28 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        armando_ferreira@il.us.swissbank.com
Cc:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>, Philip Milne <philip_milne@il.us.swissbank.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, charlie_conklin@il.us.swissbank.com
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

Armando Ferreira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The command that I actually used was tar -cvf /dev/rsd0a /

this is good because it limitted teh damage.
ONLY the root partition will be damaged (excep maybe small things
elsewhere due to the system being brought down suddenly).

> I have since built FreeBSD on a different disk which is working fine. What I
> need to do now, is to check that the /usr partition of the old disk was not
> damaged.
you can find out which is which by running
fsck on the subdevices.. /dev/rsd0[defgh]
(unless it's now sd1 :-)
fsck will tell you where the filesystem was last mounted..