Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 14:53:01 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A first encounter with 'vi'

Oh my lord... save me from vi...  ;-)

Today, I was unfortunate enough to encounter it for the first time when
trying to change my shell from sh back to csh (don't ask).  That has to be
the editor from hell (forgive me if I'm insulting any old-school *nix'ers
here, but this IS a forum for newbies).  I thought I was in hell when I was
in that editor (obviously one of the original Unix editors back when
mainframes and dumb terminals were all the rage).  I hope I don't commit
too many sins in my life and when I die be damned to an eternity of typing
full-length articles using vi <shudder>.  The damn thing even had the nerve
to send me mail stating that I used it incorrectly afterward.  An editor
that Emails you and tells you about your mistakes and how to recover from
them?  Only in Unix...  ;-)

I truly am glad I don't *only* use FreeBSD (grin).  Sometimes the ease of
use of Win95/NT can be such sweet relief to us *nix newbies...

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.