Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 23:16:55 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        tech@cdrom.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   update on wcarchive load

   It turns out that wu-ftpd has a bug in it that causes the anonymous ftp
limit to be escentially ignored if it is set to >1024 users. After a little
checking, I discovered that the _actual_ number of users on wcarchive was
peaking at over 1800 users (the limit is supposed to be 1250). This explains
why the load average took off into the stratusphere - there wasn't enough
memory for this many users and the machine was paging heavily. This also
resulted once in running out of the 16384 mbuf clusters I have configured
in the kernel - resulting in about 20000 input errors on the ethernet. I had
previously thought this was caused by an apparant cabling problem that I
had seen in previous days...but not this time.
   Anyway, 1800 users actually reduces performance and was causing wild
swings in the output data rate. Now that I've toned it back to 1250 users,
the machine is MUCH happier. :-)

-DG

David Greenman