Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 96 14:23:46
From:      "Ugen J.S.Antsilevich" <ugen@latte.worldbank.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   WOW: ipfw vs ipfilter

Hmm..That was fun..i actually unsubscribed from all the FreeBSD groups recently as
i am planning a trip abroad and don't want my mailbox to explode while i am gone, so
i wasn't reading FreeBSd lists for a while, and i sent this note thinking pretty much i
am sending it back to Jordan , my friend Gena forwarded the mail to me..:)

Well anyway, interestingly enough how two lines can produce such a reaction...
Yes, i know i haven't been working on this for a long time, and i don't think i will ever,
i am at 20% (which as all you know is nothing in normal terms) of writing completely new
conceptually different firewall (well that means i worked last week for 3 hours).

As to the pig and such - i don't think the firewall code was messy, in fact it was pretty
normally writen, not worse then any other part and no matter what ppl say i can compare -
i know when i write good code and when it is bad myself. Besides a lot of it was derived from
another guy and nobody blamed him before:)

Put aside the quality of code at the time i put it in the system it included everything ipfilter
does, but the actual problem is not that - i beleive ipfilter is better now as time goes and it
doesn't stands in place.

>From what i figured over this year ppl started doing something whih an old russian Aesopus
style tale says:
There was a donkey once who drew a picture and it was ok, then came a bear and tald him that
picture is good but to make it better it needs some honey, then a pig came along(another one)
and sayd that the picture's missing beans, then a rabbit asked for carrots and a horse for an
oat or something and so on.So the donkey-artist added it all and then when all the bunch of
suggesting dudes came to see it they all agreed - this picture is ugly and disgusting. And
then they gave up on it:)
Now don't nobody get offended cuz i didn't mean to call nobody pigs and horses, it's how
a story goes but the main idea is that a bunch of good small changes having no system
and nobody to bring them to common interface makes something rather bad and hard to understand.

As to keeping or removing IPFW from the system i personally do not really care, it was nice having
my name there but that's all. If sometime i finish my work you will be welcome to check it out,
as for now thank you for attention and sorry about making such a fuss:)

--Ugen