Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 09:29:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        David Langford <root@dihelix.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:

>  > ID is one thing but if there is a company to go after right now, it
>  > looks like it should be Caldera.
>  >
>  > >From the looks of things they may single-handedly make Linux the
>  > MS-DOS of the '90s (*sigh*)
>
> Yeap, you got a point.
> There are degrees of extreme linux fanaticims. Caldera has to be right up
> there.

Well, here is my take on things.  I think that ID should be able to make
their games for any operating systems they want, including Linux.  If they
don't want to make a FreeBSD version, then ultimately WE must get our
Linux ELF emulation in shape to run that.  However, I find it more than a
little annoying that they push multiple Unix versions of DOOM (Solaris,
SGI, QNX, Linux), as well as OS/2 and Win32 betas, out on the net, then
don't support them.  If you finger help@idsoftware.com (which is a NeXT
box, btw), all of the Unix ports of DOOM say:

"Do not send us mail about this port. We will delete it. NO CHANGE."

Now this isn't a very nice attitude to take!  At any rate, I must say that
I probably sounded like a Linux fanatic when that was the only PC Unix I
heard of, and most of us sound (to a lesser extend) like FreeBSD fanatics
now.  I think we get the feeling (true as it may be) that everyone would
convert from Linux if only they had the "facts" in front of them.  Now
I've heard few objective advantages of Linux, and most seem to be the
related to the greater number of users (better device driver support for
XYZ random hardware, and more books on bookstore shelves) but that does
not a superior OS indicate.  Still, if they want to go around deluding
themselves, and use FreeBSD as their primary FTP transport, as I said
above, we can't do much about it, and mailbombing (or whatever) is just
in bad taste

As for Caldera, now that is the example of the kind of software we should
be trying to get natively for FreeBSD, not the latest spiffy game.
Still, in order to do so, we would have to convince the people with the
money, that FreeBSD is superior for DESKTOP use, which is a bit harder
point to argue than its usability as an Internet server.

---Jake