Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:21:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 205 on laptop, slip is acting weird

On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> Hi
>
> I now have 205 successfully installed on my laptop (DEC Hinote).
> Using NFS on 115k SLIP this went OK. It now even runs X ;-)
>
> The only thing (for now) that annoys me is that everything
> on the SLIP/IP side doesnot work except for ping and NFS.
>
> So telnet,rlogin etc to or from the laptop fail:
> Ftp times out, etc.
>
> I'm probably missing the very obvious here but still..
> The 'server' is a 115 machine, the docs I have to pull
> over will at work (lacking ftp to the world at home).

Try checking the server and the client to make sure that compressed-slip
is either enabled or disabled on both ends.  Perhaps try an "ifconfig sl0
-link0" on the 2.0.5 system to clear the SC_COMPRESS flag on the slip
interface and see if TCP services work (if so, the 1.1.5 system must have
its end of the link in "normal" mode).  Otherwise, perhaps try the
"compress"  flag in /etc/slip.hosts on the 1.1.5 system to force
compressed-slip.

The 2.0.5 kernel's slip interface notices when a compressed-slip packet
arrives and sets the SC_COMPRESS (link0) flag on the interface for
outgoing packets.  This bit me, since 2.0.5's sliplogin no longer
clears/sets the interface flags - I had to add an "ifconfig" to
/etc/sliphome/slip.login to clear the link0 flag.

> Other than this things look great
> Wilko Bulte             email: wilko@yedi.iaf.nl

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu

Government cannot give to people what it does not first take away from people.
  - Kenneth W. Sollitt